Job Title: Shop Labourer
Department: Support Staff
Reports to: Support Staff Supervisor
Location: Labrador City, NL
Date Created: 11/03/2021
A key member of the Support Staff Team, the Laborer will help with day-to-day activities in the shop; in addition, the incumbent has the responsibility to keep the workshop clean, load and unload material.
The incumbent’s responsibilities include the following duties:
- Prepare surfaces for coating by sand or steel shot media blast, sanding, chemical wipe, wire brush and any other means necessary.
- Apply primers, base coats and sealers within required specs and mil thickness.
- Properly mix multi-component systems per manufacturers’ specifications.
- Apply mid and top coats according to manufacturer and job specifications meeting mil thickness requirements.
- Clean and maintain painting and sandblasting equipment and maintain a clean working environment at all times.
- Assist with other projects as needed
- Assist welders, mechanics and shop supervisor in their day-to-day operations.
- Transport raw materials and finished metal products manually or using hoists or other devices to storage areas or within the worksite
- May be required to work at heights eg. scaffold/boom lift
- Help welders, mechanics and shop foreman in their day-to-day operations.
- Transport raw materials and finished metal products manually or using hoists or other devices to storage areas or within worksite
- Assemble and fit metal sections to form complete units or subunits
- Prepare finished products to be painted
- Sort metal sheets and parts, scrap metal and other materials
- Assist in loading and unloading equipment
- Wear proper safety equipment.
- Perform other related tasks as required.
- High School diploma
- Experience in a welding workshop would be an asset
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Attention to detail is essential
- Must be conscientious of quality control for finished products, specifically with sheets of metal such as stainless steel, copper, brass, etc.
- Must have an team spirit to accomplish final goals and work cooperatively with others
- Must have good common sense
- Must be flexible to work on various tasks as required
- May be required to work in adverse weather conditions.